Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy Father's Day

So, as many of you know, my husband, D, is a psychiatrist.  For various reasons, he spends a day a week in service to a Case Management Agency, working with the mentally ill who are homeless or just plain poor.


He told a neat Father's Day story to me this morning.


A young schizophrenic man came to him several months ago, complaining of voices.  After talking with him, D gave him a shot that lasts a month, that is a really good medication for schizophrenics.  


The other day, the young man came in for a followup.  Doc!  The shot worked! I hadn't told you but I had two voices in my head talking against each other, and the only way I could make it work was to make a deal with them.  If I walked constantly from sunrise to sunset, they would be quiet.  And they were.  


After I took the shot, one voice stopped altogether.  The other one was still there, but after about a week, it stopped too.  I went home and had an amazing sleep.


The next morning I called up my girlfriend.  And now I'm going to be a father.


D's response:  Well!   Happy Father's Day!


(The case managers were all like:  oh no a new little baby schizophrenic!)


The young man was so happy that D congratulated him and was happy for him.


I have some amazing fathers in my life right now:  A and Sc and of course my beloved D.  So Happy Father's day to each of you.

1 comment: