Thursday, April 19, 2012

Domesticity and Antigone

A few weeks ago, I was feeling kind of blue so I went to one of my favorite websites, One Kings Lane.  They always have bright cheery things to look at.  There was a book advertised there, The Gentle Art of Domesticity, and it looked like something that would bring me from blue to pink again, so I ordered it.

It took weeks to arrive from Great Britain.



One of the things the author talks about is reading.  And she has directed me to some Victorian reading that I never knew about.  

What does this have to do with Antigone, of all people?

In my profile I talk about the richness of our lives here and last night was a good example. 

D has been invited to a discussion of Antigone, coming up in the next week or so.  So I decided, with all my reading, to read Antigone again.  Like most of us, I guess, I'd read it in High School.  But a few things have happened in my life since then, and I thought it'd be important to have another look.

Last night, I was listening to the slow movement of the Bizet Symphony in C Major (yum!) while waiting for the chicken stuffed with meyer lemons to be done (yum!) and I read Antigone's farewell speech.  Talk about richness.  The whole play is amazing, but her farewell ranks way up there, not so much in what she says, which is highly situational, but in the poetry of it all.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment